Our mathematics leads are Mrs N Evans (F1-Y2) and Mrs R Mayston (Y3-6).
The link mathematics Governor is Mr W Chadburn.
The vision for maths at Springvale:
To see our curriculum overviews for each year group, please click below:
Please click below to see how we teach multiplication table facts.
Progression Map for Multiplication
Please feel free to ask our maths leaders for additional support or advice!
Our Approach to Teaching Maths
At Springvale Primary we believe that all students can succeed in Mathematics. (#everyonecan!). All children are taught to have a positive mind-set to Maths and engage in stimulating and challenging lessons. We aim to create a culture of deep understanding, confidence and competence in maths. We support a mastery approach to teaching and learning. From FS2 to Year 6 we follow the White Rose Maths programme.
Speaking and listening is an essential part of our mathematical learning environment and we aim to give children the confidence to talk about how and why they have used strategies. At Springvale we encourage the use of complete sentences in Maths when explaining ideas, and sharing answers.
Supporting learning at home. We use NUMBOTS for F2-Y2 and TT ROCKSTARS for Y3-6 to secure their key maths skills. Please ask us for help if you cannot get logged in with these programmes. We advise that these are used litt;e and often to build long-term memory of key maths facts.
Our aims in Mathematics are to ensure that all pupils:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- Can identify, understand and apply relevant mathematical principles and make connections between ideas.
- Can explore and demonstrate mathematical ideas through the use of concrete, pictorial and abstract approaches that help cement knowledge so that pupils truly understand what they have learnt
- Gain a deepened, conceptual understanding of mathematics. Pupils are given time to fully understand, explore and apply ideas rather than accelerate through new topics. Challenge comes from investigating it in new, alternative and more complex ways.
- Confident in talking about their maths using complete sentences as a way of building mathematical language and reasoning.
- Are confident and resilient mathematicians with a growth mind set and a love of learning in mathematics.