To see our ‘intent statement’ for maths, please see here:
To see our curriculum overview, please see here:
Our maths leaders are Mrs N Evans and Mrs R Mayston. Please feel free to ask them for additional support or advice!
Our Approach to Teaching Maths
At Springvale Primary we believe that all students can succeed in Maths. (#everyone can!). All children are taught to have a positive mind-set to Maths and engage in stimulating and challenging lessons. We aim to create a culture of deep understanding, confidence and competence in maths. We support a mastery approach to teaching and learning. From FS2 to Year 6 we follow the White Rose Maths programme.
Speaking and listening is an essential part of our mathematical learning environment and we aim to give children the confidence to talk about how and why they have used strategies. At Springvale we encourage the use of complete sentences in Maths when explaining ideas, and sharing answers.
Our aims in Mathematics are to ensure that all pupils:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- Can identify, understand and apply relevant mathematical principles and make connections between ideas.
- Can explore and demonstrate mathematical ideas through the use of concrete, pictorial and abstract approaches that help cement knowledge so that pupils truly understand what they have learnt
- Gain a deepened, conceptual understanding of mathematics. Pupils are given time to fully understand, explore and apply ideas rather than accelerate through new topics. Challenge comes from investigating it in new, alternative and more complex ways.
- Confident in talking about their maths using complete sentences as a way of building mathematical language and reasoning.
- Are confident and resilient mathematicians with a growth mind set and a love of learning in mathematics.